Saturday, July 5, 2014

Recipe - Mexican Meatloaf

If you know me well, you know that one of my favorite types of foods is Mexican food.  Tacos, enchiladas, burritos, tamales, chimichangas, tostadas, salsa, guacamole...I like it all!  My recipe box contains MANY Mexican inspired dishes.  Most are not authentic; I leave that up to the professionals.  But I like the flavors and make Mexican versions of many things.  Mexican lasagna, Mexican stuffed peppers, Mexican quiche, a Mexican type pot pie, and the highlighted recipe of this post, Mexican meatloaf.

Growing up, I was never much of a fan of meatloaf.  As an adult I like regular old meatloaf more, but I really like this Mexican version.  The gooey cheese and sour cream inside sold me right off the bat!  If you're looking for a new take on meatloaf, try this recipe!

Ingredients

2 pounds lean ground beef
1 can (8 ounce size) tomato sauce
1 cup dry bread crumbs
1 package taco seasoning mix
1/3 cup chopped green bell pepper
1/3 cup chopped onion
1 large egg
2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
1/2 cup sour cream
1/4 pound Cheddar cheese, sliced

Directions

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.

In a large bowl combine ground beef, tomato sauce, dry bread crumbs, taco seasoning mix, green bell pepper, onion and egg; mix thoroughly and set aside.

In a medium bowl combine cheddar cheese and sour cream. Place half the meat mixture in loaf pan. Make a deep well the length of loaf; place the cheese mixture in the well, then place the remaining meat mixture on top. Bake for 1 1/2 to 1 3/4 hours.

Pour off the drippings. Top the meatloaf with sliced cheddar cheese, overlapping. Let stand for 8 to 10 minutes.

2 comments:

  1. How about a Mexican Pudgie Pie? The Pudgie Pie irons are on my cottage supply list!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You gave me this recipe years ago and I have yet to try it. Yesterday I was talking to a a lady at work about this recipe and I printed her a copy. She made it last night for dinner and texted me raving and thanking me for it! She loved it! Not that I didnt value your opinion before(especially with Mexican food) but I will have to put this on my dinner menu very soon!!!

    ReplyDelete