Thursday, June 7, 2012

Girls Weekend Getaway - San Antonio, Texas

Memorial Day weekend I took an annual girls trip with my mom and sister.  This years destination of choice was San Antonio, Texas.  We stayed at the Embassy Suites Riverwalk.  It was the perfect place for us; two bedrooms with a total of three beds, a living area, balcony, and a small kitchenette area with a small refrigerator.  There was a free breakfast which included scrambled eggs, potatoes, the best bacon ever, pancakes, made to order eggs, yogurt, fruit and cereals.  Each evening there was a two hour manager’s reception with snacks and free wine, beer, sangria, margaritas, and rum punch.  These two perks made the reasonable hotel rate even more worth it!  It also saved us some cash on food and drinks.

San Antonio is known for it’s Riverwalk.  You can stroll along it for hours checking out various restaurants, bars, hotels and a few shops.  Or you can just have a seat and people watch!  We took a water taxi up the river to visit Pearl Brewery on Saturday, the day of the Farmer’s Market.  The taxi was a great way to see the Riverwalk from another perspective and allowed us to rest our feet.  I have to say, Milwaukee's Riverwalk doesn't even compare!  I was really impressed with the architecture and landscaping of San Antonio's Riverwalk.  The fact that there is no guard rail to protect walkers (drunk or not) makes it even more interesting

We also visited Sea World of San Antonio.  As a kid, I made a ‘bucket list’ as a school project.  On this list was a goal to visit all four Sea Worlds (I wonder how many middle schoolers wrote THAT one down?).  I have already been to the Orlando and Ohio locations and can now check off San Antonio as well.  Though the Texas park is smaller we still enjoyed our day there watching whales, dolphins, and sea lions perform.  We also lucked out because their new water park had just opened which I think kept the lines for the few roller coasters at a two minute wait!  I still love me a good roller coaster.

We took a double decker bus tour which hit various sites like the Alamo and HemisFair park, build to host the World's Fair in 1968. We also visited the Mexican Market where I enjoyed a gordita from a street vendor.  We did a lot of walking!  At the moment I am participating in a work walking challenge.  According to the pedometer I wore I logged 52,127 steps from Friday through Monday. 
All and all I enjoyed my time there and would definitely go back for another visit.  Except maybe I'd choose March or April when it’s not so hot yet.  There’s plenty more to do:  Zoo, Schlitterbahn waterpark, Six Flags, wineries and more.

I don't have any photos edited yet, but to prove that we were there here are my sister and mom in front of the Alamo.

2 comments:

  1. I've been to San Antonio a few times and always enjoy it. I would love to go back again. Their riverwalk is really cool and it sounds like a great hotel!
    Shelly

    ReplyDelete
  2. On our list to visit too. Pete spent time during his army time there but so much has changed... can't wait to see the photos!

    ReplyDelete