Thursday, September 13, 2012

Recipe - Homemade Peanut Butter Sauce

I love peanut butter.  It's as simple as that.  Creamy or chunky.  Sandwiches, cookies, candy, ice cream.  Alone, on toast, with chocolate, with honey.  I'm even known to dress up pickles with peanut butter (don't knock it 'til you try it).  I should really by stock in Reese's  because Reese's peanut butter cups and Reese's Pieces are some of the few candies I eat.  Recently, I had a hankering for a decadent peanut butter cup sundae.  I really wanted something sweet, rich, and gooey.  Peanut butter flavored ice cream/custard would even suffice, however, upon checking, I realized I had just missed this flavor at Oscar's Frozen Custard.  I couldn't take it any longer and decided that there had to be a way to make my own peanut butter sauce.  I found a few recipes but this one was the only one I had all the ingredients for.  I didn't add all of the water mixture to the peanut butter because I thought it would make the sauce too thin, but I think it would have been just right (my sauce was a bit thick and not sweet enough).  If I'm ever in this sort of predicament again I will definitely whip up my own peanut butter sauce.  This at home sundae hit the spot and satisfied my craving.....until I requested peanut butter and chocolate chip waffles for breakfast two days later!

Peanut Butter Sauce

1 c. sugar
1/2 c. water
1/2 tsp. salt
2/3 c. light corn syrup
1 c. peanut butter
Combine sugar, water, salt and syrup. Boil for 1 minute. Let cool a few minutes. Whip peanut butter in with wire whip. Cover ice cream with sauce.

2 comments:

  1. I'm with you on this one...I also love peanut butter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jamie's favorite ice cream is Blue Bunny's Peanut Butter Panic. I love PB too!

    ReplyDelete